To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2006 1:09 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Mercury co-founder Irving Green passes

Don Cox <doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: > 7. Philips reissued some Mercury Living Presence titles in the
ill-fated Golden Imports series. In the early CD era, some titles were
issued under the Philips label as part of compilations. The Mercury
Living Presence imprint was revived when my mother did the CD reissues
in the 1990's. For all the changing of hands since she had retired in
1964, many tapes were still around and many were in good shape. Where
they weren't, effective remedies could be taken with the titles that
were issued over that period (100+ CD's).

I bought them all, on the assumption that a complete release was not likely to happen again.

Not all the LP material was released on CD, however. I have a Brahms
Horn Trio, for instance, on LP only. Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

There was also the pre-Living Presence "Mercury Classics" series.(I believe I own most of these,as well as the first press MG 50000 "Pictures",on this label.)Some of these are original recordings,produced by Tom's dad C.Robert Fine.Some were Supraphon/CCCP liscences,and some were of German origin,the original source of which,I wasn't able to determine.(Help please,Tom.)Most of the Mercury-sourced recordings,from this period,have yet to be reissued,as far as I know.The post NY Dolls Mercury label,was quite active during the new wave era,especially in the UK,giving the world such now beloved bands as The Polecats,(In case you have never heard them,go watch the videos at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GA4foTap-WQ&search=polecats and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG1stB4f7VA&search=polecats ,and The Teardrop Explodes http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcbJeT2tIDI&search=%20teardrop%20explodes.
Roger Kulp