From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Thomas Stern
Sent: Friday, July 07, 2006 1:16 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ARSCLIST] EMS Records - Elaine Music Shop

  Hope someone can provide information or link to some history of the
EMS label, list of releases, and the current
status (i.e. - did anyone preserve their masters, have any been reissued).
  When I first started exploring music via lp's at the NY Public Library
collection at Fordham Road (Bronx NY),
they had a few EMS releases which I loved.  Attempts to purchase copies
failed, either the stores I frequented
had no knowledge of them, or said they were out of print.
  I never saw any critical appraisal of their releases, but they were
part of my introduction to early music, a taste
well supplied a few years later through Experiences Anonymes,
Esoteric/Counterpoint, Nonesuch, Archiv et.al.
TIA for any information you can provide.
Best wishes, Thomas.