  ----- Original Message -----
From: "Jerome Hartke"
> CD and DVD error detection and correction algorithms will "play" discs
with
> 2 mm diameter holes. Some DVD systems require a 6 mm defect before data
loss
> occurs, and the problem is then loss of servo lock by the read drive. Can
> 78s do this?

Actually, the error tolerance for centre-hole deviation with 78's depends on
the personal standards of the listener! An off-centre "center hole" will
produce an audible "wow," but the lyrics and melody will still be
identifiable.
I've had to "hand-centre" 78's which had been drilled out to be playable on
Standard (make, not adjective!) machines...very difficult to do exactly
but still listenable when not quite perfect!

Steven C. Barr