Re: [ARSCLIST] Archiving at double speed

At 02:13 PM 6/23/2006, Bob Wasserman wrote:

Some of material more recently has been used for radio/tv/film/web, and I make a good realtime copy at that time, but some people have even been happy with the double speed mastered copies since they highly process the audio in editing anyway or ends up as low-fi web files.

As we all know, noise is the enemy of achieving high compression rates and high quality at the same time. The noise eats up the bandwidth, especially when going for high compression rates. You can see the same effect in JPEGs. Here's a quick test: scan a photo that has been screened. Save it as a constant quality JPEG and look at the file size. Then run gaussian blur in Photoshop so that the screening just disappears. Even sharpen it again if you wish. Save it again as a JPEG with the same quality setting. Look at the file size.

So, removing noise even if it sounds worse uncompressed may give an overall better compressed file! It requires experimentation to optimize the tradeoffs. Remember, while my JPEG example is dealing with constant quality, MP3 files are generally set up as constant bit rate (yes, I know there is a variable bit rate option).

As to Kevin's question, I said yesterday and I'd like to reiterate. Anything that can transparently or almost transparently increase throughput is worthwhile in attacking the mountain of tapes out there.

Cheers,

Richard