From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David Lennick
Sent: 22 June 2006 17:36
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Fw: [78-l] ^ Distortion on a cassette tape

Parker Dinkins wrote:

> on 6/21/06 9:47 PM US/Central, steven c at stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> >> Why should the material have become distorted?
> >>
> >> If the cells in the cassette recorder were losing voltage, that
would
> >> account for it... but surely they'd never drive the motor for half
an hour
> >> in that state?
>
> Might happen if one or more of the cells became exhausted before the
others,
> as in the case where not all cells were replaced at one time.
>
> ---
> Parker Dinkins

I mentioned the other week, either on this list or 78-L, that I took my
first
cassette recorder (which was a portable radio/cassette thing) to the
Riverboat in
Toronto when David Amram was doing his "folkie" thing and recorded him,
and then
found that the batteries had been low and my recording was literally
"half speed
mastered". Not a question of misthreaded tape or schmutz caught on the
heads..just low batteries.

dl

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the postmaster@xxxxx : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.