Re: [ARSCLIST] Stereo records.

----- Original Message -----
From: "phillip holmes" <insuranceman@xxxxxxxxxx>

Two thoughts...
1) The whole point of using tube amplifiers is the fact that what distortion
they do create is much more pleasant to listen to than the distortion
of solid-state amplifiers (in fact, it may be that tube amps need to
be driven slightly into distortion to produce their desired sound!).
As a blues harmonica player, I WANT an overdriven, distorted sound...
and, as a result, have to use small tube amps (I can overdrive my
only solid-state amp, but the results grate on my nerves!). I would
assume this is because an overdriven tube amp produces a distorted
waveform, but NOT one resembling a square wave (tubes approach
cut-off gradually)...while an overdriven tranistor simply goes
so far and no farther, producing pseudo-square wave output?!

2) It would seem to me that if field coils are being used as they
once were (they were also the filter chokes for the B+ supply)...
using them would lead to problems with audible hum? Of course, for
$15,000 they could afford to provide a filtered-DC supply for the
field coil(s)...