Re: [ARSCLIST] Stereo records.

steven c wrote:

I can recall the first time I heard stereo sound...it was being
demonstrated in a music store in Springfield, Illinois...and I
walked in looking for a particular pop 45, and was overwhelmed by
this new sound I heard that sounded much more "real" than anything
I had heard before! That was, IIRC, mid-1958.

My first exposure to stereo was in 1954/55. An English teacher with rather odd habits diverted the class for ten minutes or so with the Cook binaural LP of gulls and buoys. (Hey - the pun isn't mine!) Since it was a class, playback was through a pair of monaural HiFi amps and speakers. IIRC, it was mighty impressive.

However, I do recall clearly having been impressed with multichannel sound from Fantasia - not on first release but before 1955. I've no idea now of what mixdown was used, but there were at least three channels working and Night on Bare Mountain made a lasting impression.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/