Re: [ARSCLIST] Ampex 456

We've done lots of 2" and the timing you have is not far off.  In fact, it
may be conservative for badly hydrolyzed tapes (though, we "bake" at
slightly lower temperatures).

Cool-down times are not, however, equal to "baking" times.  To be done
safely, the tapes are ramped up, held at a constant temperature (Baked or
incubated) and then cooled down.  We have found some extremely hydrolyzed
tapes that required over 120 hours of "baking" but ramp-up or cool-down has
never required more than 24 hours.

Peter Brothers
President
SPECS BROS., LLC
(973)777-5055
www.specsbros.com

Restoration and Disaster Recovery Service Since 1983