Re: [ARSCLIST] First 45s (was: Stereo Records)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Sohn" <mahatma57@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > All I know is the first
> >45 I had was Johnny Hortons' Battle of New Orleans...
> >

> I've got a copy of that!
>
> >For example, this article says the 60s Beatle era was the golden age of
> >the 45 - yet they were on their way out in the USA beginning in 1962 or
> >so... But I was just 12 then, so I might be a bit off...
>
> I was buying 45s up until 1970 or so, until just about the time when Top
40
> lists became irrelevant and I discovered FM radio.
>
> Matt Sohn
>
> Whose first 45 was "Jumpin Jack Flash" and who still buys the occasional
> 45...

Well, the first current hit record I bought was actually on a 78...it was
Joe Darensbourg and the Dixie Flyers, "Yellow Dog Blues." Of course, I was
blissfully unaware that Darensbourg was a noted New Orleans jazz musician,
and that the song was c.1916...didn't learn that until MUCH later!

When my brothers and I finally got a 45 player for Christmas, I quickly
discovered I could by ex-jukebox 45's for a quarter each...and over the
next few years I accumulated a thousand or so of those. Sadly, that
collection was taken over my one of my younger brothers, who took no
care of it at all (or anything else, including himself!)

After I returned home from my European wanderings, I inherited my father's
78's...set out to add more...and here I am with ten tons of shellac!

One never knows, do one...