Re: [ARSCLIST] Stereo records.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Schurk" <wschurk@xxxxxxxxx>
> YO:
>   Back in the late '50's or very early '60's, while living in Klevetown,
I used to haunt (and hunt in) our local Gray drugstores and Giant Tiger
stores (like K-mart today) for jukebox dumps for 45's (and early  on--78's).
The prices were 35 cents and 29 cents  respectively.  Ya gotta believe there
wer some kool discs.   But then does one need 25 copies of the Champs "Train
to  nowhere"?.  You DID have that luxury of picking out the one in  best
condition (A-side was the whacked one)
>   Well................, during that heyday I picked up two stereo 45's,
both from early 1959 and both were charted tunes.  The koolest one  was
Castin' my spell/Telephone baby by the Johnny Otis Show (Capitol  S4168) on
a red label.  The other one is a ho-hum but still  stereo  Tab Hunter (I'll
be with you) In apple blossom time/(What  can I give) My only love (Warner
Bros. S 5032)

>   So the question is who used them and where they played??    Why were
they in with  this otherwise mono platters??   Radio??  Juke boxes??  Home
use??

At a guess, I'd say radio...in particular, FM radio, which was stereo from
(when?). In my post, quoted below, I noted that our University station was
being sent stereo promo 45's in 1973 or so...
...stevenc
http://users.interlinks.net/stevenc/

Prospect.