To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, June 10, 2006 5:30 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Vanguard Classics reappears in 2 cd sets

Hello Scott

On 10/06/06, Scott D. Smith wrote:
Tom,

I got the same information a few years back about the films being in
Germany, although it wasn't really definative. This was prior to the
SACD project that Universal started.

I never really got a straight answer on the Everest material, although
one person I spoke with was of the opinion that the films were in bad
shape (as in, the oxide was falling off the base). I was never able to
confirm this, but given the history of how many record companies have
dealt with their masters, I wouldn't be surprised.

As you point out, SACD sales have been less than staller, so I don't
look for any interest on the parts of the record labels any time soon.

Sony-BMG seem to be quite pleased with the sales of the Living Stereo SACDs, enough to have issued several batches. Last I heard, they are planning some opera reissues later this year.

One difference is that BMG derived the CD layer from the SACD, and it
sounds better than previous CD issues, while Universal used the previous
CD transfer. So there was no incentive for anyone who doesn't yet have
an SACD player to rebuy the Mercuries.

I think that could have halved sales.

In regards to the Command material, I would once again be interested specifically in the 3 track film masters for the L/C/R spread, as opposed to the 2 channel mixdowns, even though they may at this point be in better condition than the film originals.

In any event, it's truly a shame that nothing is being done to
preserve what is left of the material (if any). (I am making an
assumption that whoever owns the rights haven't done anything).

Although a market for the material may not exist at the moment, who
knows what might happen 50 years from now.

Indeed.

Consider the renewed interest in DG and Decca recordings from the 1950s
- their "Original Masters" box sets have been very successful.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx