Re: [ARSCLIST] My response to--Re: [78-l] Viva vinyl

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Lennick" <dlennick@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Okay....first of all....DON'T DO THAT! The reasons should be obvious, but
> they'll include potential damage and cracking, shavings all over the
place, and
> most important of all, it may not be your record you have to center.
>
> Better to raise the disc with an extra turntable mat or two..I use a mat
and an
> old thick LP. For really badly centered records I add a lightweight flat
disc
> (flat is very important..this is why old LPs made before "gruve gard" come
in
> handy, and the lightweight flat disc is a 1940 vintage paper-based
lacquer).
> This gives you enough room to center the disc properly with most spindles.
> then use a record weight (stolen from an old radio studio, which I realize
is
> not an option for all, but I'm sure you can come up with something). This
is a
> more difficult task to do on some turntables than others, and best
performed on
> tables designed for production use and which allow cuing.

A great "record weight," if you can find one, is a LARGE nut (not
me!)...like
a lug nut from a "semi" truck or similar. These weigh a pound or two, and
(of course) have hole in the centre. I used to have one that I used to play
"bent" Hit-Of-The-Week discs...it was heavy enough to flatten them and hold
them to the turntable...