Re: [ARSCLIST] Vanguard Classics reappears in 2 cd sets

I must be having a senior moment...but I can't remember what SACD refers to.
Don Chichester

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott D. Smith <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 22:01:54 -0500
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Vanguard Classics reappears in 2 cd sets

Tom,

I got the same information a few years back about the films being in Germany, although it wasn't really definative. This was prior to the SACD project that Universal started.

I never really got a straight answer on the Everest material, although one person I spoke with was of the opinion that the films were in bad shape (as in, the oxide was falling off the base). I was never able to confirm this, but given the history of how many record companies have dealt with their masters, I wouldn't be surprised.

As you point out, SACD sales have been less than staller, so I don't look for any interest on the parts of the record labels any time soon.

In regards to the Command material, I would once again be interested specifically in the 3 track film masters for the L/C/R spread, as opposed to the 2 channel mixdowns, even though they may at this point be in better condition than the film originals.

In any event, it's truly a shame that nothing is being done to preserve what is left of the material (if any). (I am making an assumption that whoever owns the rights haven't done anything).

Although a market for the material may not exist at the moment, who knows what might happen 50 years from now.

--Scott