Re: [ARSCLIST] Marsh Labs recordings article [2]

Dear All,
    I agree this is an inappropriate methodology. When I was working in
the National Sound Archive, I researched the evolution of UK Decca's
equalisation by *comparing two masterings of the same performance*. I
knew UK Decca's 78 "ffrr" curve, and matched LP versions to that; and
along the way, I discovered that the "Ace of Clubs" and "Ace of Hearts"
reissues had *always* been remastered RIAA. So a chain of logic grew, in
which it proved possible to note *two changes* in UK Decca microgroove
equalisation, and quantify them by means of matrix-numbers.
    However, I consider it is also vital to *prove they are the same
performance recorded through the same microphone(s)*. This can be done
by routing the two versions through a mixer, switching the phase of one
version if necessary, and checking that the "swoooeeooosh" effect occurs
as the two discs crawl into synchronism and out again.
    I have been collaborating with Mike Stosich of Esoteric Sound to
straighten-out the equalisation histories in America. When I travel
around the country, I carry a WORD document with me listing the various
records I've acquired for this purpose. If anyone's half-vaguely
interested, please contact me offline at <peter.copeland@xxxxxxxxxx>. I
haven't found any suitable comparison-pairs for Vox, to name but one.
Peter Copeland
Former Technical Manager,
British Library Sound Archive.