Re: [ARSCLIST] The future of analog (fwd)

This doesn't take into account the "Cult of Apple/Mac" nuts,who will pay decent money,for anything before 1990!
  Roger

steven c <stevenc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Note also that digital equipment meets the same fate...only (in
most cases) more quickly! Check out the yard-sale prices for
Pentium I and II machines...and other hardware of that vintage!

I'm currently using a Pentium III IBM machine that cost me $150
Canadian about a year ago (right now I could buy a PIII WITH used
monitor for about $60!). I'm guessing that digital audio software
and hardware has the same negative-exponential "rate of appreciation?!"

I've found working (but obsolete) machines in the trash (aka
"Boulevard Surplus," as in "Oh, I got that from Boulevard
Surplus a month or two ago...!")

We live in an age when things aren't repaired (or in many cases
repairable!)...but simply replaced, with the old stuff added to
our ever-increasing "landfill crisis!"

Where/when I grew up, you didn't discard something until it was
absolutely beyond all hope of being brought back to "working"
status...and, if you did, you stripped it of all reusable
parts and threw out the carcass! I was with the USAF in Germany
1966-70...and the same "modus operandi" applied to the ubiquitous
VW "beetles." You would often see their carcasses, stripped of
all reusable parts, being hauled off as scrap metal!

Na und?

...stevenc
http://users.interlinks.net/stevenc/

Ring'em or ping'em. Make  PC-to-phone calls as low as 1¢/min with Yahoo! Messenger with Voice.