Re: [ARSCLIST] ARC

Has anyone given The Archive of Contemporary Music's site: http://www.arcmusic.org/begin.html ?

A good place to start.

I have dealt with Bob George for more than a decade as a seeker of information, a colleague, a donor of hundreds of my cast off CD jewel boxes and, most recently, a dues paying member of the ARChive. I find the collection that he has amassed truly won'drous and his approach to giving access totally off center, but perfectly suited to what he has and the organization's miniscule staff (him and one or two employees and the occasional intern/volunteer). I was involved in arranging a recent tour of the ARChive for members of our local music librarian's association and I got the impression that pretty much everyone (mostly card-carrying MLS professionals) was amazed at the treasures that he presides over and there was general recognition that attempting full-fledged MARC cataloging so that their holding can be shared would be a serious impediment, given the realities of the organization. I am professionally, as an employee of one of the major players (NYPL) in the bibliographic online utility sphere, aware of the advantages of doing with the pack, but Bob George has done some pretty valuable work outside of the grid.

I gather that he has some fairly advanced negotiations with Columbia University that may give his enterprise a new home and insure its existence beyond his active involvement. This may change the ground rules at some point, but would be a good thing in the long run.

I suggest looking into the ARChive firsthand; the website is great but doesn't give you the same feel as a visit.

By the way, they are having their semi-annual sale of excess LPs and CDs next week (collector's alert, if you are in the vicinity)

Peter Hirsch