Re: [ARSCLIST] Storing digital media

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>
> steven c wrote:
>
> > For those who want to access "real" DOS instead of the Windows 9x
> > substitute...simply copy the system files from an ancient (pre-W9x)
> > machine, and stick it in the floppy drive before booting!
>
> True enough, but you're very unlikely to read your hard drive due to
> filesystem even if you're prepared to deal with the SFNs DOS will make
> from all those LFNs.

True! Real DOS wots not of FAT32*. However, for those of us, like myself,
who retain an odd attraction to DOSSHELL for viewing actual file contents
(more or less possible by opening non-text files in WordPad if you're
desparate) it is easy to get used to the DOS SFN's...
"First six letters of the long file name...tilde (squiggly thing
otherwise unused)...number (of files that start with the same six
letters)...dot...first three letters of extension"

* Although DOSSHELL seems to be able to list and view all my files,
in spite of the fact I converted to FAT 32 supposedly to save disk
space...three-byte files still take 32,768 byte of disk space??!!

NOTE: back when I first dealt with computers and digitalia, I paid
an extra $250 to upgrade the hard drive on my 80286 from the standard
40MB to 65MB...

...stevenc
http://users.interlinks.net/stevenc/