Re: [ARSCLIST] Storing digital media

Any computer component can fail. Connectors are often the cause. Power
supplies contain resistors and inductive components as well as capacitors.
Let's not forget semiconductors. I had a semi company for some time, and all
chips contain undesirable impurities that migrate over time and result in
failure.

Anything and everything that we use have limited lifetimes. There is no
"Holy Grail" for storage. Those willing to spend time and effort to test
storage components can significantly improve the odds that stored
information will be accessible in XX years. With additional expense,
redundancy will give further improvement. But discard the notion that one
"ideal" means exists somewhere, or that blind use of a "magical" brand will
make all your dreams come true.

Jerry
Media Sciences, Inc.