Re: [ARSCLIST] Triage, heroic efforts, and economics

George,

Karl Miller originally wrote:

I would agree, but to my question, if you had a donor, what would be the
best use one could make of say, a gift of $5-10M?

And I responded, apparently triggering Karl's enthusiasm:

It depends - perhaps the best thing would be to set up an archival store of multiple tens or a hundred TB (or expandable to that) plus an annuity to pay for the ongoing support plus an annuity to pay for incremental digitization.

Notice my two annuities in the list. I think it's imperative that this be considered. You made a lot of good points in your recent post.

I fear that we have transcended stable media on the shelf, and I am not sure we'll ever return.

At this point, my best guess for stable media are certain data tapes, but they still need review...unless we decide to go back to shellac as some wags at National Public Radio suggested a few years ago on the first of April. Steve Smolian was even implicated in that effort.

I am not prepared to publish anything yet -- in fact, it appears that much of the grunt work has been published already but in journals obscure to media people -- but the more I research this, the more I believe that tape is not forever, either.

I do tell people that digital archives do not react well to budget interruptions. I'll go further to say that power interruptions can be engineered around, but budget interruptions on the order of even a few years can be catastrophic.

Karl's enthusiastic response to the first part of my conjecture is great and we need more people talking about this. However, if we look at current "best practices" of digitizing everything at 24/96, a TB is roughly 1,000 track hours. Hence my call previously to consider some bit reduction. My preference is 16/44.1, but other options are available. 16/44.1 provides 3,000 track hours per TB and I think is adequate for 1.88 and 3.75 in/s oral histories recorded on Wollensaks and even Uhers, as well as cassettes recorded on most (non-top-end) machines. So, my 100 TB store proposal would hold between 100,000 and 300,000 track hours or 50,000-150,000 hours of stereo material, minus overhead for proxies and metadata.

Yes, they could/should be networked. My proposal for the Cal State Fullerton project was to see three equal repositories for the state of California, located in three geologically diverse regions, connected by high-speed fibre optics. Replication software would be running as well as background error checking. I still think this is a good model for storage. I have replicated it here on a minor scale with three stores, each 1.25 TB, and one is in a geographically distinct area -- my neighbour's basement <smile>--connected by a medium speed fibre optic link (100 Mb/s).

I continue to look into LTO tape, as I hear the prices have dropped somewhat on drives. The tape cost has always been attractive.

Cheers,

Richard