Re: [ARSCLIST] Triage, heroic efforts, and economics

At 05:42 PM 5/23/2006, Karl Miller wrote:
On Tue, 23 May 2006, Richard L. Hess wrote:

> The 7,000 cassettes and reels stored with nightly relative humidity
> spikes up to 75% at the Cal State Fullerton Center for Oral and
> Public History were copied to two gold CD-Rs with some help from me
> to set things up. I tried to get them interested in adding this to
> their IT infrastructure, but was told it couldn't happen.

Do you recall what their thinking was...

No budget and no champion who understood the project. The CDRs were done essentially for the cost of the CDRs and a few Dragons and a couple of years' lease on a pair of A807s. All the labour was free.

> While preserving commercial releases is very important as well,
> hopefully additional copies of these survive at diverse geographic
> locations. The material that worries me the most are the single copy archives.

I would agree, but to my question, if you had a donor, what would be the
best use one could make of say, a gift of $5-10M?

It depends - perhaps the best thing would be to set up an archival store of multiple tens or a hundred TB (or expandable to that) plus an annuity to pay for the ongoing support plus an annuity to pay for incremental digitization.