Re: [ARSCLIST] Triage, heroic efforts, and economics

On Tue, 23 May 2006, steven c wrote:

> The house I live in was built around 1870, and speaks of some
> interesting aspects of local history...and it currently contains
> my shellac archive of some 40,000 78rpm discs. However, should
> I drop over stone cold dead on the morrow, the most likely
> response would probably be, "Okeh...let's bulldoze that old shack,
> haul all those old records down to the dump, and put up a nice,
> new suburban-style home on the empty lot! Guy musta been nuts
> to live there and save them old albums..."

Yes, many will think you are nuts, but I don't think any on this list find
your collecting those old records to be crazy.

Perhaps David Seubert could give us some information on the use of their
Cylinder project? Perhaps in time, through projects like this, people will
realize that there is a point to these old recordings. While you might not
like them when you hear them, you first have to be able to hear them to
decide if they might have meaning for you.

Karl