Re: [ARSCLIST] Triage, heroic efforts, and economics

And I must sadly agree that Peter is correct in his assessment of the situation regarding finding experienced engineers who have the knowledge and fortitude to take on some of the more challenging restoration and preservation tasks that come along in the course of dealing with old, damaged, and obsolete material.

Despite that ready availability of information on the internet, I am astonished at the lack of knowledge displayed by some of those who are engaged in the field of "audio restoration". And I'm not talking about the "do it yourself" home enthusiast with a Teac tape deck and a Dell laptop. I mean staff who are engaged at commercial facilities and institutions.

This is not a criticism, but merely an observation. It has been confirmed by what I have seen pass through our facility after someone else has attempted a "restoration" of a recording. Although we don't always know the direct cause of the damage, it was apparent in some situations that someone took an approach that turned what may have been a usable tape, film or disk into something that would have little chance of being salvaged.

Case in point: We recently had a job come to us that consisted of a number of reels of 17.5mm magnetic film. The material had previously been sent to another facility engaged in "restoration" work (name withheld to protect the not-so-innocent, and avoid nasty libel suits!). The facility in question stated that "there was no recorded material on the film". Not only were they dead wrong, but also apparently damaged the sprockets in the process (the institution that submitted the material claimed that it was in good condition when originally inspected). So now what could have been a fairly straightforward project turns into a time consuming and expensive restoration, all because someone didn't understand what they were doing. I wish I could say that this was the exception, but sadly it is not. I think that Peter and a few others will no doubt have similar stories.

These kinds of sad stories will continue unless there is a concerted effort on the part of institutions and archives to raise the funds necessary to train staff in the evaluation and processes involved in dealing with various recorded materials, as well as attracting some of the few people we still have left with us that understand the details of the many recorded mediums that we now have (I'm talking about those that don't exist on a hard drive) While there have been some great papers published on the subject, we have a long, long way to go in implementing the recommendations they contain.

In the meantime, those with the critical knowledge that should be passed along are being lost to us at an astonishing rate. I can count at least 20 engineers I have known in my lifetime whom I would consider to be exceptionally talented and knowledgeable who are now gone. In many cases, their knowledge has not been passed along (Howard Tremaine being the one major exception. Thank you Howard for your foresight). I know that there are hours of recordings and other material in the AES archives that should be transcribed, edited, and disseminated, but there are no funds.

Back to what Mike originally said, given the current state of affairs, I must say that I'm not holding my breath for any attention to be lavished on the problem at the federal or state funding level anytime soon. (Beyond what already is being done at NARA and the LOC)

Sorry for the long post... 'nuff said.

Scott D. Smith
Chicago Audio Works, Inc.

Peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

While I agree with most of what Peter Copeland says below, I sadly must
disagree with his assumption that "Future restoration processes should
inevitably be better than present-day ones."

I am on a number of technical commissions that are involved in writing
preservation standards dealing with magnetic tape and, having passed my 50th
birthday, I am the youngest active member on these commissions.  To me, the
greatest danger we face in the preservation of much of our recorded material
is the rapid obsolescence of qualified technical personnel.  Just consider
that we may soon be facing a new generation of technicians that have heard
most of their music on iPods.

I do encourage all my clients to retain their originals, but I feel that a
good capture/transfer from legacy (non-automated) formats is much more
likely to be accomplished today with competent and EXPERIENCED personnel
than in the future.  Whatever new technical "toys" are developed, you still
need to get the material off the old, curled, warped, shedding...tape BEFORE
you can feed it into any kind of signal processor.  Where is the new
generation that gives a #%*@ about doing the hard work required coming from?

Peter Brothers
President
SPECS BROS., LLC
(973)777-5055
www.specsbros.com

Restoration and Disaster Recovery Service Since 1983