[ARSCLIST]

We recently received this question, and there is probably someone in ARSC who knows the answer. If you do, I'd be grateful for the help especially if you can back it up with a reliable source. Thanks

What is the earliest birth date of anyone whose voice has been recorded?

Therefore not, necessarily, the birth date of "oldest" person recorded, nor the birth date of the first person recorded. But rather, the birth date of a person who was probably around 100yrs of age when voice recording started in the 1890s - and possibly therefore was born before 1800.

If this recording no longer exists or cannot for any reason be listened to - what is the earliest birth date of anyone whose voice has been recorded that may still be listened to - and how and where can one listen to this recording.

Jerry McBride, Head Librarian                   (650) 725-1146
Music Library & Archive of Recorded Sound       (650) 725-1145 (fax)
Braun Music Center                              Jerry.McBride@xxxxxxxxxxxx
541 Lasuen Mall
Stanford University
Stanford, CA  94305-3076