Re: [ARSCLIST] Tapes for free

----- Original Message -----
From: "phillip holmes" <insuranceman@xxxxxxxxxx>
> I just love finding something new.  For me, music is an addiction that has
> to be fed.  My tastes are so broad, from acoustic to modern, and across
> every genre, that I could fill several houses with software.  I thought
> about going back to school (I have a vocal performance degree) and doing
the
> library thing, but it seems as if the dumbing down of America is affecting
> library staffing priorities and funding.  I don't think I could find a
job.
> I know that 95% of you guys do this out of love for the work (I pity the
5%
> who thought they were going to get rich and retire early).
>
>Well, my desire for "something new" is fed by my being the "private
curator"
(or whatever appelation seems most appropriate) of a personal collection of
some 40,000 78rpm discs...which would fill QUITE a number of tables (and
probably cause the collapse of the legs to boot!).

Sadly, libraries are caught between "Iraq and a hard place..." since not
only
is the USA "dumbing down" (an inevitability once television became the major
source of information, and excaterbated by the "Information Highway") but
ever-increasing funds are diverted to Dubya's personal wars! Beyond that,
corporate interests are beginning to notice that public libraries are
allowing their clients access to books that they might otherwise (see
under "fat chance!") purchase. depriving them of sales and thus decreasing
their net income!

Welcome to the monkey house...er, 21st century...

Steven C. Barr
(who, at this point, could probably out-cynic H. L. Mencken and/or
Samuel Clemens with a million or so brain cells tied behind my back...)