Re: [ARSCLIST] National Recording Preservation Board (NRPB) Study

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> The uncommon, expensive and prized part of the equation is that rare
> individual who is expert in the content, has the patience to wade through
all the source material
> and is organized and with clear enough communication skills to catalog and
describe the archive so
> it is accessible. Even more valuable is that person with a wide and deep
historic knowledge so they
> can not only list/catalog but provide context. I am not confident that
there are enough such
> individuals to keep track of the vast majority of recorded sounds, and
very valuable/important
> material will and does fall through the cracks.

So...here I am! I have 40,000 (give/take) shellac 78's, dating from 1895
to 1960...I'm expert enough in their content to be the creator of a
standard reference work in the field...and the necessary knowledge in
the area of digital database technology to "keep track" of my half-vast
accumulation (lacking only the time required for by-hand entry of the
data...?!).

If I'm so furshugginer valuable...why isn't the world, or that part
of it that dwells on the north shore of Lake Ontario, besieging my
door with ever-increasing offers?! Then I could afford to fix the
dommed cracks before I, my discs, Ecru (the cat) and/or all of the
above fell through them!
FEH!!

Steven C. Barr
(don't have a degree in Library Science, though...)