To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 8:48 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] National Recording Preservation Board (NRPB) Study

Part of the management cost is that of providing access to the file, i.e., cataloging. That is a huge expense since it requires a great deal of time. LC is doing this now as it works its way through various broadcast collections.

There may be one "Your Hit Parade" file of, say 26 programs- a broadcast year's worth, but the file is
opaque until the songs performed on it and those singing them are cataloged, item by item.

Steven Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Cox" <doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>