[ARSCLIST] Letter on British Copyright Term Extension

The British government is being heavily lobbied by the recording companies to
extend the copyright term for recordings there from the present 50 years to
as much as 95, and make it retroactive.  That would pretty much shut down the
UK's historic reissue industry.  There have been a number of pro and con
letters in the British papers.  Cliff Richard (the UK's Sonny Bono?) has been making
the rounds on behalf of the record companies urging extension, so he can keep
getting royalties from his 1950s hits.

ARSC member David Patmore was asked by CHARM, a consortium of English
universities interested in record preservation and study, to write a position paper
on the subject for submission to Andrew Gowers, who is studying the matter for
the Chancellor of the Exchequer.  After supplying David with some information,
I decided to write a letter myself and, to my surprise, the Times of London
printed it last Thursday(abridged), with mention of ARSC.  See the link below.
Following that is the full letter as submitted.

I encourage others on the list to get involved before this is decided!  Here
are some addresses David supplied me:
letters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
letters.editor@xxxxxx  (The Financial Times)
letters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
letters@ independent.co.uk
They all ask for any correspondence to be accompanied by the sender's name,
postal address and daytime telephone number.
Tim Brooks
Copyright & Fair Use Committee
(my thanks to committee member Dick Spottswood for his input.)

In a message dated 5/11/2006 5:09:39 AM Eastern Standard Time,