Re: [ARSCLIST] [78-l] Bobby Blue Bland in Seattle

Hello all :-)

So sorry to throw a damp blanket on expectations for Bobby Blue Bland's
show, but I have seen him several times in the past 3 years (doing lights
for him when he appeared at B.B.King's Blues Club in NYC), and I am sad to
report that it is a borderline-painful experience.  Mr. Bland has, shall we
say kindly, seriously diminished performing abilities.  It's a decent
pickup blues band, but he can barely sing (or stand) anymore.

Forgive me for pointing this out, but I figured I'd warn you that if you
were expecting a James-Brown-level performance of "Turn On Your Lovelight",
then you will be sorely diappointed.

ON THE OTHER HAND

If anyone is arriving on Tuesday 5/16, George Clinton is appearing that
night at the Showbox Theater, 5 blocks from the Red Lion Hotel, for only
$20 advance, $25 day of show.  I have done lights for him many times at
BB's, and he still has more funk in his little pinky finger than any 20
Black-Eyed-Peas-Outkast-Prince-you-name-it funksters put together...

Expect them to pick up their instruments and essentially not take a breath
or stop playing for 3 solid hours...  Doors at 8pm, not sure when the music
is supposed to start...  It might make one a little bleary for the first
part of Wednesday's all-day program, but I can guarantee from personal
experience that it will be worth it :-)

dave nolan
92nd Street Y
nyc

P.S. - Lou - I know I still owe you for the DAT labels ;-) - see you with
check in hand in Seattle...

>Just found out that Bobby Blue Bland will be playing at Dimitriou's Jazz
Alley