Re: [ARSCLIST] Medical grade CD-Rs

I don't have the reference to hand, but I recall MAM makes gold discs with various degrees of additional protection layers over the lacquer, Medical being the one with the most or the thickest.

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lou Judson" <loujudson@xxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 12:09 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Medical grade CD-Rs

I think it is marketing. If you notice, one of the major FAQ headings is, why change from cine film to CDR? They aren't talking a better CD, they are saying CDR instead of microfilm for medical records. I would hazard a guess that they can price "medical CDRs" at about ten times the cost, since it is doctors who decide and health insurance that pays the bill (or ten percent of it, anyway!) - so it is not a grae but an alternate to film recordkeeping...

It is part of the digitization of medical records, which is supposed to
make our lives "better" ...

If it helps, see this page and you can choose the colored CDs...
http://www.mam-a.com/products/mitsui_colors/index.html

My first response was, if it is a medical CD where do they install it
in the human body?!?

Lou Judson • Intuitive Audio
415-883-2689