Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio equipment cable shielding

I thought I implied that, but yes, you are correct sir.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, April 21, 2006 1:17 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Audio equipment cable shielding

phillip holmes wrote:
Sorry to interject at a late date, but I somewhat disagree. If you have a transformer in the preamp (I have 3 that have the transformers on a 3' umbilical), then sitting them right next to the table could induce hum. If you have a 3' tonearm cable (pretty typical I believe), use all 3' and get the transformer away from the cartridge.

A signal transformer is likely only when using an MC cartridge. In that case, the transformer is almost certainly made for that cartridge and very heavily shielded. In addition, the source impedance (the cartridge coil) is very low impedance. The risk of pickup in such a case is very slight.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/