Re: [ARSCLIST] Vinyl use and access policies

Dear Lisa Colaianne,

You're doing the right thing to ask advice; there are times when all of us need to do that, especially when we're new at something. I learned a great deal of what I know about operating a sound archive from my friends and colleagues in ARSC.

Your plan to recommend direct use of the LP's only by [and I'd add: "Trained" ] staff is an excellent one, one followed here at Yale Historical Sound Recordings for the collection's whole life. I should add that by using high quality turntables with top-quality styli (and checking those styli for wear every 3 months), I've never seen an LP damaged or worn to any audible degree in the collection.

Our rule about copying for preservation (digitization nowadays) has always been to allow one play within about half an hour, two plays total for one researcher before making a copy for further use. In addition any LP we know will be frequently used and any we find in frequent demand would be copied for preservation and the copy used for study.

Handling procedures are discussed in an article you can find the in ARSC Journal: Volume 25, no. 2 (Fall, 1994), pp. 139 - 162; this article was based on extensive research on procedures in archives and research libraries and study of available writings. We've since found no reason to change these statements of advice.

Because of limited staffing and budget, we digitize recordings when needed. Generally, the policy for LP's is as stated above; for other types of recordings we follow the normal archival hierarchy: most endangered (cylinder recordings, lacquer ["acetate"] transcriptions, acetate-base audiotape, "sticky-tape" audiotape, audiocassettes ...).

Please feel free to ask further questions on- or off-list if you wish.

Sincerely, Richard (Warren)