Re: [ARSCLIST] Fw: [78-l] British copyright laws

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006, steven c wrote:

> Forwarded for comment...a very well-reasoned and well-written opposition
> to the British attempt to import the US "eternal copyright" on sound
> recordings...
>
> Steven C. Barr
> >

> > THE PROPOSED EXTENSION OF MECHANICAL COPYRIGHT TO 95 YEARS

Thank you for sharing this. For me, such an extension of the copyrights
proffers the notion that a music recording is nothing more than a consumer
product like a soft drink. In this country we are beginning to address
notions like "victim's rights." I believe that it is time for the rights
of those who value recordings to get their "rights" addressed. I have no
problem if the copyrights are extended in perpetuity, provided my right to
access to information can be addressed. For me, that is at the heart of
the matter and from a practical consideration, based upon US copyrights
and the proposed extension of the British Copyrights...rights to access
are not valued in the slightest.

Reflecting on what I just typed...I wonder...I think we all remember when
Coca Cola "threatened" to stop making the classic coke...what would happen
if they did stop making the classic coke...should the recipe become public
domain?

Then I think out archives preserving the recorded history of performing
organizations. Much of this preservation is being done, when the law
allows, with tax payer money.  Yet, as a tax payer, I am denied reasonable
access to those recordings. Maybe it is just my odd way of looking at things, but
the current situation seems absurd to me, and the law as proposed for the
UK sounds like something out of a Monty Python sketch.

Karl