Re: [ARSCLIST] scotch 227

Following up on this, even after all that baking and cooling, there was a little residue on the guides after the reels passed. The residue seemed to come much more off the back-coat side -- very little of anything on the heads or takeup guide but some crud on the supply guide and pinchroller. Not enough to gum up the works but more than would be expected from one pass of a good tape. Got a good transfer so hopefully that's it for these tapes. Made a safety dub at the same time, onto supposedly "cured" Quantegy 457. Check back in 10 years and we'll see if it's really cured.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, April 06, 2006 5:49 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] scotch 227

I'm right now transferring one of two Scotch 227's from 1986 (10.5" reels). Baked 12 hours, cooled 12 hours in the American Harvest air oven. No residue on the tape path of my Technics 1500, which I used to run though so as to get a good, even wind. Now transferring on my Ampex AG-440B and it sounds darn good. I'm very surprised it turned out so well because I was afraid it was stuck for good. This is a pair of tapes I did not want to lose. Of course, high-resolution transfer because I'm not optimistic they'll play this well a second time.

-- Tom Fine

----- Original Message ----- From: "Bridavsky, Michael G" <mbridavs@xxxxxxxxxxx>