Re: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: [ARSCLIST] The waltz (was Which U.S. orchestra recorded first and Arthur...

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Don Tait wrote:

>   I don't have complete information and other may know more. However, the
> reason for the lack of reverberation on the pre-1940 or so Boston recordings
> seems to be that the rehearsal curtain in Symphony Hall was drawn for the
> sessions. It was routinely used to cut down the immense reverberation in the hall when
> it was empty. Beginning with the Koussevitzky sessions in November 1944,
> Victor seems to have worked without that deadening influence. (When there was an
> audience, Symphony Hall was and is ideal.

I had wondered as to why the sound was so dead. I had assumed it was due
to the microphone placement. This will give me a good excuse to compare
tempi of the commercial recordings versus the broadcasts.

Thanks for that information.

Karl