Re: [ARSCLIST] The waltz (was Which U.S. orchestra recorded first and Arthur Fiedler)

On Mon, 3 Apr 2006, Goran Finnberg wrote:

> Which makes the practice of adding echo after the recording highly
> dubious for classical music as you´re correct that the tempo is set by
> how long the ambience is in the room where the recording was done.

I agree. It really does become something else. But then I wonder...were
the preLP Boston Symphony Orchestra recordings made in Symphony
Hall...with its acoustic, yet recorded with such a dry sound. The NBC
Symphony in 8 H was one thing, but I do wonder...

I am reminded of some of the Dutton Boston Symphony Transfers with the
added reverb...it all sounds so unnatural, or is it that I am used to
listening to it with a dry acoustic.

Karl