Re: [ARSCLIST] The waltz (was Which U.S. orchestra recorded first and Arthur Fiedler)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Smolian" <smolians@xxxxxxxxx>
> I couldn't think of a better way to prove my point that without completely
> annotated music, for thosw wishing to perform the music as its creators
> intended, a properly qualified recording is a defining document.
>
> A qualified recording is one made by the creator(s) of the music or those
> known to be aware of and to deliberately implement that tradition.

Two thoughts:

1) There is NO way to notate/annotate music (that I'm aware of, anyway)
adequately to show all the subtle differences in timing, tempo and level
which separate one player from another, or suggest exactly what the
composer had in his/her/its mind when the piece was composed!

2) It would seem that a "qualified recording" could only be made
during a composer's active lifetime, when questions could be
asked about details or the composer's own performance heard. In
fact, even if the composer was recorded performing the piece,
that only represents how he/she/it wanted it performed at that
moment...which could easily have changed over later years or
decades.