Re: [ARSCLIST] The waltz (was Which U.S. orchestra recorded first and Arthur Fiedler)

--- Karl Miller <lyaa071@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Based upon the musicology papers and articles I read, you are in the
> minority.

Hmm... I guess I'm playing with musicians and you're reading papers
written by musicologists. :-)

Seriously, there is a big difference. We who do it are musicians first.
I just got done playing 2 Bach cantatas in Indianapolis and believe me,
there was rubato. Not 19th C rubato but rhythmic flexibility
nonetheless.

> What about rubato? From my experience and training as a musician, I
> was
> taught to be a slave to the metronome

Only when practicing the tricky bits. :-)

> they evince, should be part of the musician's training.

I agree, but they shouldn't be the ONLY part when discussing rhythmic
flexibility. Those that teach that don't know any other way and are
ignorant because of that view. When reminded of that, the openminded
are curious, the closeminded get defensive.

When the rubber meets the road, we players play what we feel. Feelings
are a very big part of it, but at the same time we know that late 19th
C Italian opera phrasing and rubato don't fit in a Bach Cantata, but
neither does the reverse.

Cheers,
Lani