Re: [ARSCLIST] The waltz (was Which U.S. orchestra recorded first and Arthur Fiedler)

This opens up a whole grocery store of worm cans.

Classical music differs from all other western musics in that the play-from-the-notes highway, however many lanes wide, is still a fixed distance of interpretive latitude.

The gearing-down of rhythmic freedom, the complete loss of the implied appoggiatura and the emergence of crisp rhythmic ensemble attack occurs in the 1920s. Rubato and the Strauss family "hiccough" do a slow fade. Many important surviving recorded documents of the older performance practices were acoustically made with all the performance compromises they required (see my article, "Strohs in the Wind" in the new Classic Record Collector.) In addition, the emergence and strong influence of the "literalists," Toscanini (with some understanding of the past that faded over time) and his followers (many of whom lacked that understanding) reshaped orchestral practice and abandoned the lanes that lead to immediately preceding ways of performing music. They narrowed the highway.

I think it clear that the authentic paths toward playing the music of Brahms, Schumann, Wagner and their contemporaries is best captured by those older ensembles. That of Berlioz and others who flourished from 1840 back is less well documented through recordings. Ways of performing classical vocal music and the teaching of its techniques, however, seem to have been better preserved into a more distant past, to Mozart through the Garcia chain. See Hermann's Klein's essay on performing Mozart, probably the best brief exposition of this tradition in English.

During the early electrical era, vestiges of the older ways of ensemble playing are most readily found in chamber music, the Capet Quartet foremost among them. The Flonzaley begins to reduce portamento, both in the number of times it is used and in its intensity. The personnel of both groups were trained in the Ysaye school.

A discussion of pianistic interpretation would require a visit to the warehouse where there are many more cans of worms.

Performances using older interpretive styles may not be the way you enjoy hearing your favorite pieces. It nonetheless is as much a part of the ancestry of music as a family tree is to contemporary individuals. In addition, the underlying philosophical spine of classical music is to communicate following the composer's intentions. Readings by those with a valid connection to the composer's thoughts on these matters and the executive competence to express them are valid messengers from a living past.

Steve Smolian

----- Original Message ----- From: "Karl Miller" <lyaa071@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>