Re: [ARSCLIST] The waltz (was Which U.S. orchestra recorded first and Arthur ...

On Sat, 1 Apr 2006, steven c wrote:

> These interpretations can vary with the performers, the
> time, and various outside considerations...widely with jazz performers
> or subtly with classical performers. Add to that the inescapable fact
> that each interpretation must be further interpreted by its listeners...
> and those interpretations are more a matter of personal taste than
> anything else (and can depend on totally unrelated phenomena, such
> as whether a certain interpretation of a certain piece is associated
> with pleasant or unpleasant experiences and memories!).

This morning I had an email from a friend. He wrote me to tell me of his
experience of listening to a particular performance of a Mahler Symphony.
It was probably some 17 years or so ago that we listened to that
interpretation with our listening group. I did not care for the recording.
In his note today, my friend said, that after listening to it this
weekend, he could see my point about the interpretation...which made me
wonder, if, after all of these years, I might not think more highly of it.

Karl