Re: [ARSCLIST] The waltz (was Which U.S. orchestra recorded first and Arthur ...

steven c wrote:

Further, a critc, if honest, can only say "I like this performance
better than that other one"...nothing less and nothing more! There
is no definitive scale, at least an accurate one, on which
musical performances can be ranked (with the possible exception
of "good" and "incompetent" with the latter indicating a surfeit
of errors in the playing, the recording or both)...

I disagree strongly. A critic can also provide objective information: the edition used, orchestration, pitch, and so on. Even on subjective matters, the review should be more detailed and more specific than an overall assessment, noting virtues and faults (in the critic's opinion) of each component of the performance.

There is a recent release of Die Fledermaus offering a supplement in which the conductor reasonably accurately describes the specifics of the Viennese waltz. (Forgive me for returning to the Subject of this thread. <G>) He then conducts in complete disregard of his own exposition. That assessment is largely objective, but it has a subjective element; another reviewer might not be sensitive to the non-compliance. While there is an absolute measure of pitch, real instruments (including voice) do not hold to a fixed frequency due to vibrato. So it is possible for the objective term "in tune" to have a subjective element - one reviewer hears a note as flat, another finds it within the range of acceptable pitch variation.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/