Re: [ARSCLIST] The waltz (was Which U.S. orchestra recorded first and Arthur Fiedler)

On Fri, 31 Mar 2006, Steven Smolian wrote:

> As to Schnabel, he violates his own edition frequently.  His Diabellis are a
> particularly fine example of this divergence.

Having sit through most of the Sonatas with his edition, I don't see that
his liberties with his own text are that significant...but I will revisit
the Diabelli.

Which makes the point of the difference between text (notation) and sound.

So then the question is...what did Schnabel really want?

Karl