Re: [ARSCLIST] The waltz (was Which U.S. orchestra recorded first and Arthur Fiedler)

>... a properly qualified recording is a defining document.

In fact it is the ONLY defining document possible other than maybe a piano roll. All the rest is oral tradition. We were taught by my elementary school violin teacher that musical notation is strictly a menomic device.

Rock & roll, swing, etc. pretty much all have their roots in the Chick Webb band. Chick Webb happened to be black but his "swinging" drum style was very much his own creation.

American popular music seems to be mostly a product of teachers who were descendent's of African slaves that had been taught to perform 18th century European music. Their students were the working poor of all races and nationalities. Contrary to popular racist mythology, they could read, write and perform with the best of classically trained Europeans.

--
Bob Olhsson Audio Mastery, Nashville TN
615.385.8051    http://www.hyperback.com