Re: [ARSCLIST] scotch 227

Steve Smolian:

> As to your squeal, I suggest baking 1 mil
> longer than 1.5 mil of the same stock.

I agree about that.

For really stubborn cases 24 hours at 130°F and then let cool at least
12 hours or at least overnight.

Subject:[AMPEX] Re: ampex-digest V7 #328 - Baking Tapes
Date:Sat, 18 Sep 2004 16:51:51 -0500
From:"William F. Lund" <wflund@xxxxxxx>
To:ampex@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

To all:

To say again what I have mentioned several times over the past couple of
years. Baking tape is a process whereby you bring one of the chemical
components of the magnetic dispersion up to a high enough temperature to
cause it to melt and slowly soak back into the dispersion (magnetic
coating) where it will tend to remain for quite sometime. It probably
wont help much to put it into a bag with desiccant. If you heat the tape
to about 130 degrees and leave it there for about 12 hours and (most
importantly) allow it to return to room temperature VERY slowly (about
another 12 hours) you will find that the tape will remain playable for
years to come. In fact, little difference (if any) will be noticed
between baked and new tape.

The key is to NOT be in a hurry. Do not be afraid to leave the tapes in
the oven for 12 hours or more and do not be in a hurry to bring them to
room temperature. Allow at least 24 hours for the entire process, you
will be glad you did.

3M tapes of the 226 family (226,227,806,807,808,809) responded perfectly
to this process, none of the others ever exhibited sticky shed. The
other thing to remember is if you hurry the process and they become
sticky again, you didn't a)get them to a high enough temperature,
b)didn't leave them in there long enough or c)tried to do the process
too quickly.

Remember, plastic reels will hold their shapes until about 160 degrees
F, metal reels are never a problem.

Good Luck

Bill
3M tech service (ret)

--
Best regards,

Goran Finnberg
The Mastering Room AB
Goteborg
Sweden

E-mail: mastering@xxxxxxxxx

Learn from the mistakes of others, you can never live long enough to
make them all yourself.    -   John Luther