Re: [ARSCLIST] Curved walls in recording studio

Look into what is called " Live End Dead End " studio design.v ( No two parallel surfaces)
Chips Davis designed all of the control rooms and the Recording Studio here at the Belfer Audio Archive using that technology.
Things have changed somewhat since 1982 when our building went up,
but the methodology still holds true.

Especially in reference to Mike's statement about standing waves !!

Bob Hodge

Robert Hodge,
Senior Engineer
Belfer Audio Archive
Syracuse University
222 Waverly Ave .
Syracuse N.Y. 13244-2010

315-443- 7971
FAX-315-443-4866

Language Laboratories and Archives wrote:
> The Language Labs and Archives at the University of Chicago is
> undergoing major changes. One of the results of the latest floor plan is
> a recording studio (which can double as a class room/conference room!)
> with a curved wall: let's see if I can draw an approximation:

I gather you are opting for a rectangular box design. That is by far the
best choice for setting up standing waves. Unfortunately, standing waves
are a very poor choice for recording or playing back audio. The problem
is that bass response varies steeply with frequency and with position in
the room. The effect is that for one note, position X is overwhelmed
while Y is almost silent; for another tone, the strengths are reversed.

Not a happy listening or recording experience.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/