Re: [ARSCLIST] Curved walls in recording studio

Language Laboratories and Archives wrote:
The Language Labs and Archives at the University of Chicago is undergoing major changes. One of the results of the latest floor plan is a recording studio (which can double as a class room/conference room!) with a curved wall: let's see if I can draw an approximation:

I gather you are opting for a rectangular box design. That is by far the best choice for setting up standing waves. Unfortunately, standing waves are a very poor choice for recording or playing back audio. The problem is that bass response varies steeply with frequency and with position in the room. The effect is that for one note, position X is overwhelmed while Y is almost silent; for another tone, the strengths are reversed.

Not a happy listening or recording experience.

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/