Syracuse N.Y. 13244-2010

315-443- 7971
FAX-315-443-4866

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Hi Bob:
>
> Not doubting a play on a Victrola will chip off all the paint, but how can
you describe your disk as
> "pristine" when it's been cored out by a Victrola needle backed by a
couple pounds of pressure? How
> doesn't that ruin the grooves? Curious ...

Apparently, as long as a new needle is used for each playing, a shellac 78
can withstand a fair number of plays on an acoustic "Victrola." Consider
that most pre-1935 78's you encounter have been played on these, or on
the early electric players with horseshoe magnets that probably tracked
with even more pressure!