From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List [mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of David Seubert
Sent: 22 March 2006 06:23
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] back to the future, forward to the past

There are several non-contact/optical research projects (not commercial
products like the ELP) that I know of for grooved media:

1) Carl Haber and colleagues at Lawrence Berkeley Lab are using 2-D and
3-D imaging to digitally capture groove modulation at high resolution
and then extract the audio signal. This has been discussed on this list
before and details are available here: http://www-cdf.lbl.gov/~av/.

2) The Laboratory of Metrology at the Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale de
Lausanne (Switzerland) is developing an optical turntable using fiber
optics to play back discs:
http://metwww.epfl.ch/lecteur_disques/LectDiscE.htm.

3) Researchers at the Ecole d'Ingénieurs de Fribourg (Switzerland) have
been creating analog images of discs with high contrast film (like
microfilm or photoduplication film) and then digitizing the image and
extracting the groove modulations from the image. They presented at JTS
2004 and have published in the IASA Journal. http://www.eif.ch/visualaudio/.

4) Syracuse University's Radius Project has been developing laser
playback for cylinders. They published a research report in First Monday
a couple of years ago:
http://www.firstmonday.dk/Issues/issue8_5/penn/index.html.

5) There was a project in Ukraine for optical playback of cylinders in
the mid-1990s that I read about in some optics journal, but I don't
think I could track down citation information without quite a bit of
effort. I think this is the same project:
http://members.chello.se/christer.hamp/phono/petrov.html.

My personal opinion is that there are two potential outcomes of this
research. Projects such as Haber's may be useful for extracting
information from unique/fragile/damaged media that should not be played
by contact methods because conventional playback would be impossible or
damage would be permanent and catastrophic. The second possible use
(perhaps for Haber's and the second Swiss group's research), would be
for mass digitization projects where images could be quickly captured
assembly-line style and then later processed to retrieve the audio
signal, eliminating the need for a technician sitting and watching the
record spin round and round and round in real time.

David Seubert
UCSB

Experience the British Library online at www.bl.uk

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended for the addressee(s) only. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete this e-mail and notify the postmaster@xxxxx : The contents of this e-mail must not be disclosed or copied without the sender's consent.