To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 9:34 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Removing paint from a 78

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Fine" <tflists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Hi Bob:

Not doubting a play on a Victrola will chip off all the paint, but how can
you describe your disk as
"pristine" when it's been cored out by a Victrola needle backed by a
couple pounds of pressure? How
doesn't that ruin the grooves? Curious ...

Apparently, as long as a new needle is used for each playing, a shellac 78
can withstand a fair number of plays on an acoustic "Victrola." Consider
that most pre-1935 78's you encounter have been played on these, or on
the early electric players with horseshoe magnets that probably tracked
with even more pressure!