To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, March 20, 2006 10:47 AM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Removing paint from a 78

Hi,

ALCOHOL - NO !!

Turp might do it . but not if it's latex paint. I'd test an ungrooved portion with a Q TIP with turp on it to see if it would damage the shellac. You will have to wash the record with water once the test spot has dried. If the shellac has been damaged, it will show up as a dull spot .

A playing on a victrola will probably clean out most of the paint. I cleaned a 16 inch shellac disc that was inundated with paint specks which nothing else would remove. I still have that dic and it is in pristeen shape.

Best Of Luck !

Bob Hodge

joel.br@xxxxxxxxxxx 3/20/2006 10:20:11 AM >>>
Dear friends:

I've just received a commercially produced acoustic 78 with what looks to
be thick paint splotches on the record surface. Suggestions about removing
it would be welcome. This web site
http://www.soundfountain.com/amb/rc1.html says that industrial alcohol,
blue spirited alcohol and turpentine are OK. Confirmation would be great.

Many thanks,

Joel

Joel Bresler 250 E. Emerson Rd. Lexington, MA 02420 USA

781-862-4104 (Telephone & FAX)
joel.br@xxxxxxxxxxx
back-up email: joelbresler-at-gmail.com