[ARSCLIST] back to the future, forward to the past

for modern journalism, an exceptionally insightful piece.  Maybe pop music criticism is finally moving beyond Rolling Stone.

----- Forwarded by Dick Spottswood/dick/AmericanU on 03/20/2006 09:47 AM -----
Hank <xanajew@xxxxxxxxxx>

03/20/2006 09:26 AM

Recipient List Suppressed:;
cc
Subject
Fwd: NYTimes.com: How Pop Sounded Before It Popped

Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 09:06:18 -0500 (EST)
Date-warning: Date header was inserted by ms-mta-02.rdc-nyc.rr.com
From: jimg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: NYTimes.com: How Pop Sounded Before It Popped
Sender: emailthis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: xanajew@xxxxxxxxxx

E-Mail This

graphics8.nytimes/0F62C414.gifgraphics8.nytimes/0F62C43A.gif

        This page was sent to you by:  jimg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Message from sender:
This is the site we spoke about a few months ago. I donated 6 cylinders of mandolin music to them. Best Jim

ARTS / MUSIC
  | March 19, 2006
Music:  How Pop Sounded Before It Popped
By JODY ROSEN

An astonishing trove of pop music from 100 years ago is now available on the Web, opening up a lost musical world that deserves its place in the historical narrative.

graphics8.nytimes/0138925B.gif
1.
Why Do So Few Women Reach the Top of Big Law Firms?
2.
'American Theocracy,' by Kevin Phillips: Clear and Present Dangers
3.
Plight Deepens for Black Men, Studies Warn
4.
Music: How Pop Sounded Before It Popped
5.
Wanted: A Few Good Sperm

»

Go to Complete List

Thank You For Smoking opens March 17th

Nick Naylor, chief spokesman for Big Tobacco, makes his living defending the rights of smokers and cigarette makers in today's neo-puritanical culture. Confronted by health zealots and an opportunistic senator, Nick goes on a PR offensive, spinning away the dangers of cigarettes.

http://www2.foxsearchlight.com/thankyouforsmoking/teaser/

Do you love NY? Get the insider’s guide to where to stay, what to do and where to eat. Go to www.nytimes.com/travel for your NYC Guide now. Click here.

Copyright 2006  The New York Times Company | Privacy Policy